Hey guys 🙂 I get a lot of Dm’s on instagram of people asking where to start reading in the Bible. I wanted to write a post sharing my favorite books to read, where you should start and other books that you should definitely read. Overall, this post is great for new believers or anyone who wants to know more about each book!
First, I just wanted to share what Bibles I use. I currently use two different Bibles that I really like. The first one is this Crossway ESV Single Column Journaling Bible. This one is great for anyone who wants a simple and cheap Bible for journaling. I also use the She Reads Truth Bible. This one is also great for journaling, but it is a bit simpler to understand and read. Either one of these Bibles are very good options.
Best books to start with…
I know reading the Bible can be kind of overwhelming but there are some books that are great to start with. First, I would recommend reading the gospels, which are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. These all teach us about who Jesus is and the amazing things He did during his lifetime on earth. These really helped me learn more about who God is and grow my faith in Him.
Another book that I recommend reading is Genesis, the first book. Although this doesn’t talk directly about Jesus, it shows us how God created the earth and how everything first began. Psalms is another great one to read after the gospels. It is super calming for me to read and also teaches us about who God is and how to live for Him. Romans is another amazing one that goes back to the theme of learning who Jesus is. These books are all amazing and great to read multiple times!
Books for when…
There are several books that have been helpful for me during certain times of my life. Here is a little cheat sheet for you to refer to when you are feeling certain ways.
Anxiety – Psalms
Learn about faith – Romans
Fear – Psalms
Who God says we are – Isaiah
Love – 1 John and 1 Corinthians
Encouragement – John
Learn about God – All of them, but Matthew specifically
Wisdom – Proverbs
Happiness – Ephesians and Philipians
Trials – James
Need help understanding?
I know that it can be tricky to understand what the Bible means sometimes, but it is so important to read! This is how we learn about who God is, how we can live for Him and everything in between. So, how do you begin to understand what the Bible means? Here are some resources to help you out!
I love to use Enduring Word. They are a free app and website that gives biblical commentary on every book of the Bible. Personally, I use this pretty much everyday and it is so helpful. I also love to use my Bible Study Book from the Brand Sunday. This is more of a devotional that gives you a broad explanation of what each book is about. These are the top two things that help me fully understand each book of the Bible that is filled with so much wisdom.
Like I’ve said multiple times, it can be overwhelming to start reading the Bible but don’t worry! I am here to help 🙂 I wanted to give you some tips that help me when I’m reading the Bible, so here you go.
- Make it interesting! In order to do that I love to Bible journal. This helps me feel a bit more creative and also helps me remember the verses better. I just use a color code and write anything that stands out to me on the sides of the Bible. If you want to see a more in depth explanation of how I Bible study read this post.
- Trying to study for a set amount of time can kind of distract me, so instead of doing that just read! I typically study the Bible for a bit in the morning and a bit at night. This helps me to stay focused.
- Following a Bible study can help with accountability and understanding. The Bible study that I linked above is super helpful because it helps me understand but also gives you a certain amount of time to read each book. Tons of other Bible studies out there are helpful as well!
- Pray!!! If you struggle with anything at all, including reading or understanding your Bible, definitely pray! Prayer helps with anything and God is there for you. I used to be so unmotivated but God has helped me recently get back into reading my Bible.
- Getting some new supplies or a new Bible honestly helps me lol. I know this sounds a bit shallow, but sometimes you need a bit of a refresher. Try switching things up a bit, even just changing your marker colors can be fun.
I hope that this post helped anyone of you, whether you normally read the Bible or if this is your first time! If you want to see more of my content, follow me on Instagram and also follow me on here by scrolling all the way down and entering your email. Thanks for reading, I hope you have a fabulous day 🙂